by Diana Prodan
There’s a lot of fuss out there in the marketing world claiming that “print advertising is dead”. Turns out, not only is it NOT dead, but print advertising is making a comeback in a very real but different way. Marketers are learning how to balance their budget to account for both digital and print for the best mix to reach their ideal audiences.
What’s the draw to print? Many people believe that it’s the tangibility of holding a newspaper that draws people in. The numbers don’t lie… the day after the Cavs winning the NBA Championship in Cleveland, the Plain Dealer sold more than 500,000 copies – a normal Monday run is 38,000. Everyone wanted a commemorative edition to have as a keepsake – and just imagine how well advertisers did if they jumped on the opportunity. In general, marketers are realizing that print advertising breaks through the noise online and reaches the audiences that they are looking for.
Below are ten stats that prove that print advertising is not dead:
About Newspaper Audiences:
- 7 in 10 college graduates read newspaper media
- Upscale consumers are more likely to engage with newspaper media
- In an average week, 63% of American adults read a newspaper
- 56% of customers find print marketing to be the most trustworthy type of marketing
- Readers retain more information when reading print
Effective and Efficient:
- Newspaper advertising makes your online display ads 4x more effective
- 8 in 10 adults take action on newspaper ads
- 7 in 10 couponers use newspapers as a coupon source
- 52% of adults use newspapers for shopping planning and purchase decisions
- 63% of readers look at ads as they read the newspaper
- Newspapers are the leading medium consumers use for coupons
- Newspaper ads increase ROI by 3x
The stats say it all – print is still alive and kicking. Are you a newspaper reader? Keep an eye out for the new “Plain Dealer Works – Let’s Talk About It” campaign in the Plain Dealer Sunday edition. If you’re a marketer looking to boost your strategy by integrating print into your digital marketing campaigns, email PDWorks@advance-ohio.com.