The custom home building industry has historically used more traditional marketing such as newspapers, radio, direct mail and brochures, but have recently begun using websites as a major marketing tool since a growing number of buyers are using the Internet to research builders. The client originally ran SEO, SEM and branding campaigns in 2015 that drove a higher amount of traffic to their sites, but decided on a more comprehensive digital strategy for 2016.
The Custom Home Builder’s 2016 campaign included targeted RRM display ads, social media marketing, social media optimization, and content marketing in addition to their previously used SEO and SEM campaigns.
In 2015, the client ran an SEO campaign, SEM campaign, and branding ads on cleveland.com that drove a higher amount of traffic, but their Google Analytics revealed that their on-page engagement was very low – users were bouncing off the page almost instantly.
The client also indicated interest in very targeted ads on both an overall company-wide campaign, and to promote their individual communities.
During the new campaign, their SEO and SEM continued to deliver strong results. We also saw instant strong results with content marketing, including strong views, clicks, and engagement. On the social media side, specific audiences, messages for individual communities, and a content calendar were established, which allowed social to be streamlined and optimized to deliver strong results on a limited budget.
Meanwhile, we also consistently worked to improve the RRM metrics, experimenting with different creative messages, RRM widgets, and targeting. Ultimately, we found that focusing the RRM on a consistent branding message for the overall company instead of individual communities would best suit this campaign. A creative approach was taken to target using the client’s Google Analytics data which increased the CTR to above the standard benchmark for RRM.
Despite achieving some fairly good results on RRM, ultimately the decision was made to shift some of the budget from display to social media to allow several different messages to be pushed out without compromising the quality of leads. This resulted in a 53% increase in traffic drivers.
- Targeting the right audiences within their community
- Establishment as a thought leader in the real estate industry and as a home builder
- Remaining competitive with other local home builders, as well as National homebuilders
- Improving Google Analytics engagement numbers
- Increasing the amount of raw clicks to site, and increasing CTRs to meet or exceed industry benchmarks, when available
- Audience Targeting (RRM) – increased performance by 50%
- Increased their site traffic from paid Facebook ads by 53%, and improved performance by over 100%
- Bounce rates were lowered from 95% to 53.46% – an increase in on page engagement by 100%
- Increased total visits to their website by 86%, and organic visits by 24%