One of the top digital marketing conferences roared into Cleveland last week (Sept 9th-12th) attracting over 1,700 digital marketers from over 40 countries and keynote speakers from many aspects of digital marketing including actor William Shatner, best known as “Captain James T. Kirk” in the television series Star Trek. Shatner has also garnered several content marketing partnerships with major brands like Priceline.com. According to Cleveland’s own Joe Puilizzi, the founder of Content Marketing World, “Mr. Shatner’s storytelling provided the perfect closure to the largest content event on the planet.”
Telling stories may be the key to your business success whether you are part of a marketing team managing a big brand story, an agency leveraging your client’s story or a small business owner that wears multiple hats including “chief storyteller.” B2B and B2C companies are all jumping on the content marketing bandwagon simply because it is a necessary part of doing business in the digital age.
Today, marketers are all searching for ways to increase the reach and scope of their content marketing efforts. This year’s event presenters addressed this quest from multiple perspectives.
Here are ten quotes from the presenters at this year’s event to inspire you to get started or keep going down the content marketing path:
- “Content is the reason search began in the first place.” – Lee Odden, Top Rank Marketing
- “Why is brand preference declining? We forgot the job of brands: telling stories and creating content.’’ – Don Schultz, Marketing Professor at Northwestern University, also known as the ‘father of integrated marketing’
- “Content Marketing means you consistently create and share information that is packed with utility, seeded with inspiration and is honestly empathetic in order to attract customers to you. Empathy is not what you do; it’s what you do for your customers.” – Ann Handley, Marketing Profs
- “Social is the gasoline that fuels content.” – Jay Baer, Youtility
- “Commit to a niche; try to stop being everything to everyone.” – Andrew Davis, Brandscaping
- “When dealing with big data there is no happy ending, just a continuous journey.” – Pam Dider, Cisco
- “Content marketing is all about telling a compelling story.” – Joe Pulizzi, Content Marketing Institute
- “By creating and publishing remarkable content in the form that educates, informs, inspires and entertains, marketers can begin to build relationships with prospects early on in the buying cycle. This fundamental shift is changing the mantra from ‘Always be Closing’ to ‘Always be Helping.’” – Jonathon Lister, LinkedIn
- “By 2017 marketers are going to be buying more technology than IT…Let’s all get our minds wrapped around the fact that it’s complicated, yes, but it’s also going to help us share our message.’’ – Scott Abel, The Content Wrangler
- “If you don’t have the room to fail, you don’t have the right to grow.” – Jonathan Mildenhall, Coca-Cola
Have you developed a strategy to help your customers discover your brand through content?